A man in Boscombe was given CPR after accidentally swallowing a fish whole.
South Western Ambulance Service were called to the pier after reports of a man who had started choking and had now stopped breathing.
A friend of the man had already started CPR when the paramedics arrived.
The 28 year-old had been joking around with a fish he'd just caught.
He had put it over his mouth but the fish wiggled free and jumped straight down his throat causing a complete obstruction.
Martyn Box the Operations Officer who attended the incident said: “The boys were giving really good CPR on our arrival as instructed by the Control room staff.
"Initially we didn’t know the true extent of the situation or what the patient was choking on, but as we questioned them further we were told he had a whole fish stuck in his windpipe.
"As the patient’s heart had already stopped, we continued CPR and achieved the return of a pulse after about 3 minutes, and then transferred the patient quickly by stretcher to the ambulance."
After six attempts to remove the fish from the mans windpipe, it came out whole - it was a 14cm long Dover Sole.
Specialist Paramedic Matt Harrison said “I have never attended a more bizarre incident and don’t think I ever will – but we’re all so glad the patient has no lasting effects from his cardiac arrest, which could so easily have had such a tragic and devastating outcome."